Monday, September 26, 2011

Poor Annie

Last Monday our fence was leaning . . . and the dogs snuck out during dinner (unbeknownst to us). I happen to look out the window and see Annie in the back field, outside of our fence. I had no shoes on, so Will went running out in his work clothes to get her. Otis had apparently joined her and was along for the joy ride. Annie obediently came running back in, but she scraped her back on a rusty nail on the way back in, where the fence was leaning.

Unfortunately, this required me to take her to the emergency vet (regular vet was closed) and they quickly told me she needed surgery. I was able to go back and get her later that night. They had to leave a drain tube in, which was finally removed last Thursday. Here are a few pics - her cone and the cut with the drain tube. Don't look if it will gross you out. Anyways, I had no idea that a nail could do so much damage. It pushed into her tissue and muscle and created an air pocket, which can be dangerous. It is miserable having to see your pet in pain. Luckily she got good care, and I remembered the correct timing for all of her meds.




We go back next week to get all stitches out. Praying we have no more dog emergencies . . .

1 comment: